Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bye Bye Bali

The streets are nearly empty and quiet early in the morning. Most of those who stayed out to play last night will probably not be getting up for another five hours when the tied comes in and the waves get bigger. I strolled down to the beach, swam in the sea, and stretched out on the sand, allowing the sun to slowly start cooking me. I sat and chatted with a nice older local who teaches private surfing classes. He was waiting for a Canadian whom he was supposed to instruct, but more than likely she was in bed with a hangover. I never need much extra entertainment where there is an ocean to enjoy, but in case I was bored, there was a large class of maybe 20 girls from Sweden taking their first surfing lesson, all wearing tight matching swim outfits, climbing on the board, falling off the board - captivating to say the least.

My few hours of beach time was a peaceful ending to the solo stint of this journey. Although I had moments of banter and small meals with other people, I have been alone the greater part of the week. I cannot remember the last time I have gone so long remaining completely unengaged. No family, no work, no friends... just me and my scooter and my thoughts. Actually, I didn't have too many thoughts either. And while having such sustained quality down time was refreshing, I am even more grateful for the people that are in my life. I am so fortunate to have such wonderful folks to return to. Om Shanti!




Location:Denpasar Bali

No comments: