Monday, February 7, 2011

Lone American Generation

Nearly all other travelers we have encountered are either in their twenties or they are twenty years older and beyond. Also, most foreigners do not speak English as their native tongue. (Rare to see someone from USA - maybe a few Brits, Canadians, and Australians) Fortunately, until one of the Chinese languages start dominating, English is the common language that is used to communicate internationally here.

Either way, I have come to the conclusion that they majority of my peers are slaving away, living the American dream, at home in the States. I know it's a general statement, but the rest of the world seems interested in the rest of the world.

I'm happy to be making this journey now. The younger generation of travelers can be focused on the action and the opposite sex as I was twenty years ago. The generation ahead easily absorbs and appreciates all they are experiencing and are accepting and patient with circumstance. Unfortunately, their experience is limited by physical ability and they are given the luxury of a young body that can hike to the top of the mountains or live on little sleep.

So what I'm saying is I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to travel when I'm 41. A bit of aged wisdom with a touch of energetic youth. I guess what I'm also trying to say is, I question the general priorities of the average middle aged American.


Kind of on the same subject: missed the super bowl yesterday. I did not even know it happened. The whole town had no power all day and there were quite a few bothered Canadians missing the game.


Location:Vienvieng Laos

No comments: